MADEIRA BEACH, FL – Niagara played two games Sunday in Madeira Beach, Fla., the first a 5-4 loss to Holy Cross and the second a 7-4 overtime loss to Merrimack.
Match 1 recap: v Holy Cross – L, 4-5
• The Purple Eagles took an early 3-0 lead thanks to a three-run homer from Samantha Hare.
• Violet and White held that lead until the bottom half of the second when Holy Cross fired one to cut NU’s lead to two.
• Hare hit his second home run of the afternoon in the top of the fourth, a solo shot to give the Purple Eagles a 4-1 lead.
• In the bottom half of the fifth inning, Holy Cross scored three runs to tie the game at four.
• Holy Cross prevailed in the bottom half of the seventh, completing the comeback on NU.
Game 2 Recap: vs. Merrimack – L, 4-7 (9 innings)
• Niagara and Merrimack went six scoreless innings early in the afternoon, before Merrimack scored the game’s first run in the top of the seventh.
• Niagara tied the game in the bottom half with a Kelsey Harrigan double who scored Karena Recrosio.
• The game remained tied until the start of the ninth, when Merrimack put up a sixth-place finish to take a 7-1 lead.
• In the home half of the inning, the Purple Eagles scored three runs, but the final out came before Niagara could complete their comeback.
• Shayna Myshralhare and Maggie Kelner drove in races for Niagara in ninth.
• To transfer Maddie Hickingbottom started for NU, pitching 7.0 innings before being relieved by Cara Leone on the eighth.
• The Violet and Whites were led by Hare who finished the day with five RBIs, including two homers.
• Hickingbottom finished with eight strikeouts in seven innings of work.
• Kellner had three hits against Merrimack, his second three-hit game of the season.
• Harrigan had two hits in the second game of the day after going without a hit in the previous game against Holy Cross.
• The Niagara pitchers retired a total of 14 opposing batters.
• Niagara will have the day off Monday before returning to the field Tuesday for two games with Lafayette. The first pitch of the doubleheader will take place at 11:30 a.m. Games can be seen live on FloSoftball.com.