Holy rosary

The Holy Rosary commemorates 150 years of Woodland – Daily Democrat

Holy Rosary Parish will hold Masses commemorating 150 years of service in Woodland on October 4th.

A few Catholic services were held in Yolo County as early as 1821, but it was in October 1870 that Holy Rosary Parish dedicated its first church in Woodland in memory of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary. This building was located on Main Street between Elm Street and Walnuts Street. However, due to heavy rains and poor construction, in 1871 the steeple sagged and cracked, and the building was declared unsafe. As a result, in 1874, construction began on a new church building at the corner of Main and Walnut streets.

In 1912, the 1874 church building was converted into a parish hall, and construction of a new church building began at the corner of Main and Walnut streets. This church was consecrated on June 1, 1913 and was used by Holy Rosary Parish until 1949. The present church, located at the corner of Walnut and Court streets, was consecrated on October 2, 1949. This building is still used. since 1949 although, due to the growth of its congregation, the Holy Rosary Parish has sought to sell the building and nearby auxiliary buildings to finance the construction of a new church building.

Holy Rosary Parish opened its first Catholic school in 1886 with a staff of nine Sisters of Holy Cross. The school became known for its academic excellence, first for girls and later for boys. The Sisters of the Holy Cross served until 1977. In 1980, the Sisters of the Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary began their service at the Holy Rosary Catholic School until 1986. Today, the Holy School Rosary operates with a staff of 13 and continues to be a beacon of excellent educational opportunity for the youth of Woodland.

During its years in Woodland, Holy Rosary Parish strived to be a positive presence in the Woodland community, often in conjunction with other religious and nonprofit organizations. Members of Holy Rosary Ward helped feed and clothe the needy, tutor and provide baked goods for youth at Juvenile Hall, teach students at Woodland schools, provide medical care to Woodland patients, to serve the community as public employees, and to operate businesses that employ many Woodland residents. Additionally, Holy Rosary Parish has been selling world famous tacos at the Yolo County Fair since 2007 to raise funds for parish needs.

“I am so privileged to be the pastor of this historic faith community. The commitment and support of our parishioners over the past 150 years has been a continuous tribute to their deep faith, ”said Fr. Jonathan Molina, pastor of the Church of the Holy Rosary.

The commemoration of 150 years was originally intended to be a festive celebration, but due to the coronavirus pandemic these plans are being postponed. Thus, on October 4th, virtual and limited outdoor (or indoor if permitted) Masses will be held to thank God for the 150 years that Holy Rosary Parish has been in Woodland as a place of Catholic worship. The more festive commemoration event is now scheduled for May 2, 2021.

Holy Rosary Parish is sincerely grateful for its 150 years of ministry in Woodland and looks forward to many more years to practice our faith and serve the Woodland community.