WORCESTER, MA- First-year student Kylie Robert scored a career-high two goals, including the game-winning goal, to help the Boston University women’s ice hockey team to a 4-3 win over Holy Cross Friday night at Hart Center Rink.
Roberts gave BU (10-9-4, 9-6-3 ET) a 4-0 lead with 9:58 remaining in regulation, but Holy Cross (3-21-0, 1-18-0 ET ) fought back to enter a goal with 24.0 on the clock. The Terriers ensured the Crusaders didn’t complete the comeback, however, to earn all three points in the league standings.
Playing in his first game since last visiting Holy Cross on November 11, Roberts also picked up an assist to end the night with three points. First-year student Christine Voting and second Julia Shaunessy also turned on the lamp for BU.
Senior Jesse De Vito delivered two career assists and was one of six different Terriers to register an assist on Friday. Junior Nadia Matvi added an assist, as did the sophomores Catherine Foulem, Tamara Giaquinto and Claire O’Leary. senior goalkeeper Kate Stuart made 23 saves.
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
- BU outshot the Crusaders, 21-5, in the first 20 minutes.
- Shaunessy struck first for the Terriers 1:52 into the procedure. O’Leary kept the game alive at the blue line and eventually handed the game over to Shaunessy, who skated to the crease and fired a shot into the back of the net.
- BU had back-to-back power plays to end the first period, but Jada Brenon (38 saves) made all six saves needed to keep it 1-0.
- Stuart made a sensational save just 1:30 from the start of the second stanza to take the crusaders away from the board.
- A minute later, Roberts extended the Terriers’ lead to 2-0. DeVito passed the puck high in the offensive zone to Giaquinto at the right time. Giaquinto spotted Roberts on his own at the bottom of the left circle and Roberts stuck out his stick to redirect the puck past Brenon.
- The vote made it 3-0 at 6:50 of the third period. Brenon saved attempts from Mattivi and Foulem, but Vote’s third try in front of the net went over the goal line.
- Roberts’ winner came thanks to some great play from DeVito in the neutral zone to create a turnover. She handed the puck to Roberts, who skated in the right circle before firing a shot past Brenon.
- Stuart’s best save came with 7:32 left in the third when she denied Sofia Smithson from close range, but the Crusaders eventually managed to find a way past her a minute later to spoil the shutout.
- The Crusaders then scored a power-play goal with 4:52 left in regulation time to cut the Terriers’ lead to 4-2. They added a second count on the power play with 24 ticks on the clock to make it a one goal game, but BU held on to preserve the victory.
- Roberts entered tonight having had two goals and one assist in nine games.
- Shaunessy has scored in five of his last seven games.
- BU is 4-0-0 when Shaunessy lights the lamp.
- Foulem extended his point streak to three games.
- Nine different Terriers have scored the team’s last 11 goals.
- BU will host Boston College at Walter Brown Arena on Sunday, Jan. 30, at 1 p.m.
- This match was originally scheduled for Saturday, but was moved to Sunday due to the impending winter storm.