WORCESTER, Mass. – Opening the final week of the regular season, the Boston University men’s tennis team earned a 4-1 win at Holy Cross on Wednesday afternoon.
The Terriers (3-15, 2-2 PL) bounced back from losing the doubles point by capturing four singles points, including three in straight sets, to defeat the Crusaders (2-14, 1-6 PL).
HC took a 1-0 lead earning a 6-3 win in the first slot and then winning two more games by two games apiece (7-5, 6-4). Senior Zak Schneider and second Owen Voigt prevented the sweep with a 6-3 win at line 4.
First-year student Gabe Brown lost the fewest matches with a dominant 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 3 in singles, while the two freshmen Dion Loutas (#2) and second year John Sajonz (#5) have only lost five games apiece.
Second year Ben Letzer picked up the other point as he rallied from a set to earn a 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 win at row 6.
The Terriers will then head to the Lehigh campus for a pair of Patriot League contests. They will first face Army on Saturday (April 16), then the Mountain Hawks on Sunday (April 17).
Boston University – 4, St. Croix – 1
1) William Kelleher (HC) led Jonah Dickson (BU): 1-6, 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
2) Dion Loutas (BU) def. Mikey Prokopis (SC): 6-3, 6-2
3) Gabe Brown (BU) def. Connor Nelson (SC): 6-1, 6-3
4) Adrian Pawlowski (BU) led Alexander Ruenhorst (HC): 4-6, 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
5) John Sajonz (BU) def. Jeremy Clark (SC): 6-2, 6-3
6) Ben Letzer (BU) def. Declan O’Flynn (SC): 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
1) O’Flynn/Diego Tran Rosado (HC) def. Sajonz/Pawlowski (ST): 6-3
2) Nelson/Kelleher (HC) def. Loutas/Dickson (ST): 7-5
3) Ruenhorst/Clark (HC) def. Letzer/Brown (BU): 6-4