BOSTON- Seeking its eighth win in nine games, the Boston University men’s basketball team travels to Holy Cross on Wednesday night with an expected tip at 7 p.m.
The Terriers have won their last three games, including Saturday’s 85-67 home win over the American, who pulled out a 60-54 decision at Holy Cross on Monday to end the Crusaders’ two-game winning streak.
- Over the eight-game streak, the Terriers were effective on the offensive end, shooting 48.4% from the field and 39.9% in 3-point territory for an average of 76.8 ppg while holding opponents at 46. .4 FG%, 37.4 3FG% and 68.5 ppg.
- Graduate student Sukhmail Mathon is averaging 15.6 ppg and 10.3 rpg, a team high, while adding 11 interceptions over the past eight contests. He is just 10 rebounds from becoming the fourth Terrier to reach 800 career tips and 52 points from becoming the 41st to reach the 1,000 point milestone.
- Reigning Patriot League Player of the Week and Graduate Student Javante McCoy totaled 19.0 ppg and 7.5 rpg in both wins last week alongside 4.0 apg. He only needs 32 points to reach 1,800.
- Senior Walter Whyte (13.2 ppg, 5.9 rpg) also continued his rise in the rankings to No. 21 in the program record books with 1,159 points.
- Second year Hyrax Tate has been off the past four games, shooting 89.5 FG% and 87.5 3FG% for 10.5 ppg.
- BU is 9-5 away from home this season with a 4-2 record in conference. The Terriers have won the last three at Lehigh (80-74), Lafayette (81-62) and Loyola Maryland (67-50).
HOLY CROSS SCOUTING
- After starting conference play at 1-5, the Crusaders went 5-2, picking up hard-fought wins over BU (75-70), Lehigh (67-65), Army (69-65), Loyola Maryland ( 68-64) and Bucknell (78-72).
- Five-time PL Rookie of the Week and guard Kyrell Luc hurt the Terriers with 24 points and currently average 13.4 ppg while shooting 37.7 3FG%.
- Highlighted by a 32-point performance against Bucknell in January, forward Gerrale Gates leads HC at 15.6 ppg and 8.2 rpg.
- The Crusaders are 5-5 at home this season with a 3-3 record in conference.
- Overall, HC is averaging 66.0 ppg and 42.1 FG% while holding opponents at 70.7 ppg and 46.3 FG%.
- The Crusaders lead the all-time series 58-26, having won 75-70 at BU on January 31, although the Terriers have won seven of the last 11 games played.
- Even though HC shot 59.3 FG% in the game, BU (41.3 FG%) still had a chance to tie the game with five seconds remaining on a 3-point attempt that was out of place.
- The Terriers will visit the Hart Center for the first time since going 2-1 last season, including a 78-69 win on their last trip Feb. 17.
- The Terriers will stay on the road and visit Colgate on Saturday, February 19 at 1:30 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.
- BU won the first home game on January 28 76-72.