Holy cross

Huskies beat Holy Cross for 14 conference wins

WORCESTER, Mass. – The University of Connecticut women’s hockey team defeated Holy Cross on Sunday afternoon to claim their 14th victory of the year in the Hockey East conference. Second year Jada Habisch and graduate student Morgan Wabick would score for the Huskies helping secure the win.

The first period was a defensive battle with both teams playing clean hockey and keeping the puck in the neutral zone. Holy Cross would look to break the deadlock first as they go on the power play midway through the first period. First year guard Megan Warner and the Huskies’ penalty would remain strong, preventing any real scoring chance. During the power play, the Huskies would generate their own opportunities, including a breakaway by second Jada Habisch who would be turned away by the guardian of Holy Cross. UConn would play on the power play moments later but couldn’t score, which forced the two teams to head to the locker room tied at zero.

The second period started with UConn instantly jumping on the attack. UConn would pressure the Holy Cross defense and shoot pucks at the net, looking to be the first team on the board. At one point during the period, UConn held the puck in the Holy Cross area for over three minutes. A breakaway look from the Holy Cross intended to break the deadlock, but the first year Megan Warner would make two big saves to keep the Crusaders scoreless. Viki Harkness would remove the puck from the Megan Warner save and skip to a break Jada Habisch who would score to give the Huskies the lead. UConn wouldn’t let go as they would continue to pressure the Holy Cross defense causing a turnover, which senior Danielle Fox would pick up and shoot in the slot for a graduate student Morgan Wabick who would score to give UConn a two-goal lead. Late in the second period, Holy Cross scored on a backhand shot by sophomore Millie Sirum to cut the Huskies lead to one. UConn would head to the locker room with a one-goal lead.

The third period would mirror the first period, with both teams struggling to generate genuine scoring chances. UConn would have the opportunity to extend their lead midway through the third period, but the shot would ring off the crossbar and bounce. Holy Cross would continue to press UConn defense in search of equalizer, but rookie Megan Warner and the UConn defense would remain strong. The UConn defense would finish with five blocked shots to go along with Warrener’s 25 saves. The Crusaders would retire their goaltender with less than two minutes left in the game, but would be unable to tie as the Huskies would walk away with the win.


The Huskies return to the ice on Friday, Feb. 4 as they travel to Boston University to take on the Terriers. The puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.