Holy rosary

Holy Rosary School celebrates its 130th anniversary

Welcoming families and alumni from across the community, Holy Rosary School celebrates its 130th birthday at his Fleur de Lis dinner and auction on Saturday March 25 at 505 California St. in Woodland.

The oldest Catholic school in Yolo County and the third oldest in the Sacramento area, Holy Rosary was established in 1886 by the Holy Cross Sisters of South Bend, Indiana, as a boarding school for young girls, later becoming mixed and awarded accreditation in 1920.

Known then as Holy Rosary Academy, the school was housed in a three-story Victorian structure on Main Street and has become one of Northern California’s best-known educational landmarks. The academy was renowned not only for its academic excellence, outstanding music and fine arts program, but also for its spacious and well-landscaped grounds and serene atmosphere.

A fire swept through the wood-frame building in October 1952, ending the academy. Classes continued in the remaining buildings until the school was rebuilt and renamed Holy Rosary Parish School, which opened in 1956 at its current location at 505 California St.

Today, Holy Rosary School welcomes students from Kindergarten to Grade 8 in transition and is accredited by the Western Association of Schools Colleges and the Western Catholic Educational Association.

At its 130th birthday, school will honor its history and tradition by opening its doors on March 25 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Photos and memorabilia from years gone by will be on display at the school’s community center, where the doors will open at 5:30 p.m. for refreshments, dinner and an auction to follow.

Alumni are encouraged to contact the school to get on the class alumni lists; Recognition at the dinner will be for the class with the most attendees, the oldest graduate and the largest family of generational alumni.

For more information about the event and to purchase tickets, contact the school office at hroffice@hrsaints.com or 530-662-3494.