Holy trinity

Completed Sabers after defeat against Holy Trinity

Football semi-finals scheduled for next Friday

Content of the article

The Simcoe Sabers football team could have ended its season with a draw on Friday instead of a fourth straight loss.

Content of the article

However, needing a win and a loss for Waterford in Brantford against Pauline Johnson’s Thunderbirds to qualify for the playoffs, Sabers coach Terry Oosting opted for a two-point conversion after a late touchdown. against the Holy Trinity Titans.

Had it worked, the Sabers would have taken a 14-13 lead and would have been in position to pick up their first win of the season with time ticking away. The two-point convert fell short, however, allowing the Titans to prevail with a 13-12 victory.

The result was something of a win for the Sabres, who went scoreless in their first two games after a two-year layoff due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although slow to come out of the blocks, the Sabers picked up the pace in their last two games, which they each lost by a single point. For Oosting, this is something to build on as 2022 approaches.

“We’ve been able to move the ball a lot better,” Oosting said of the last two games against Waterford Wolves and Holy Trinity. “We have tightened our games and had very good practices.

“We had to go for the two points to get into the playoffs. It was my call. And we needed Waterford to lose.

To this count, Waterford District Secondary School Wolves cooperated. The Thunderbirds easily handled them en route to a 26-8 home win in Brantford late Friday afternoon.

“Waterford won the first half, taking advantage of some of our mistakes on offense,” Thunderbirds coach and league manager John Macdonald said in an email. “They played tough and tough as expected of the Waterford kids.

Content of the article

“Our defense played well when they needed it, taking the ball away from Waterford on several occasions.”

The Sabers’ improved execution over the past few weeks was evident in a play late in Friday’s game that put Simcoe Composite School in a position to defeat the Titans.

Sabers quarterback Dylan Courrier threw a 30-yard dart at Justin Dennison, who crossed the end zone behind the Holy Trinity secondary. Dennison made a clean catch, at which point Oosting rolled the dice on the two-point conversion. This kind of clutch play was the missing piece of the puzzle at the start of the season.

Friday’s late match featuring Waterford against Pauline Johnson decided who came third and fourth in the Brant-Norfolk Varsity Football League. He also decided the matchups for next Friday’s semi-final matches at Delhi and Holy Trinity in Simcoe.

The Delhi Raiders have a lock on first place and will host Waterford Wolves, who finished fourth in the five-team loop. With Holy Trinity in second place, the Titans prepare to host the Thunderbirds in next Friday’s other semifinal.

Before this game takes place, Titans coach Leroy Foster will be looking for ways to strengthen his offense.

“We think our defense can compete with anyone,” Foster said. “But we need our attack to step up. We can’t continue to have these close games and hope to come out on top.

The Sabers and Titans tied 6-6 at halftime, went scoreless in the third quarter, then traded touchdowns in the fourth.