Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Goodhue is one of three churches in Holy Trinity Parish. Others are St. Columbkill’s Church in Belle Creek and St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Bellchester. They all merged in 2013.
Each church is always open and Mass is held at least once a week in each church. This column featured St. Mary’s around the time of this merger in 2013. St. Columbkill Church and St. Mary’s Church have cemeteries next to them. The cemetery next to St. Columbkill is used by Holy Trinity and St. Columbkill churches.
Today’s column only presents the Holy Trinity. I will follow up on St. Columbkill in the future.
In the mid-1800s, many Irish and German immigrants settled in the counties of Goodhue and Wabasha. In 1850, the Diocese of Saint Paul was founded and expanded from Canada to Iowa. Reverend Joseph Cretin became the first bishop, remaining until his death in 1857. His successor, Bishop Thomas Grace, commissioned Reverend Felix Tissot to administer all Catholics in Goodhue and Wabasha counties. He built Saint Felix at Wabasha, and from there he served Catholics in 25 places. He built churches in Lake City, Highland, Oakwood, Red Wing, Bellchester, Belle Creek, Cherry Grove, and Pine Island.
In 1865, Reverend CJ Knauf became pastor of an area which included all of Goodhue County. His main church was Red Wing, and he worked to serve all of the other areas mentioned above. Finally, he was given three assistants to take care of the growing number of Catholics in five parishes.
One of these assistants served the Goodhue region. In 1878 Father Roy was assigned to the new St. Columbkill Church, which was built in 1860. Reverend JH Pendergast became the pastor of St. Columbkill in Belle Creek in 1898. Five years later he helped the Catholics of Goodhue to establish their own church, which became a mission of St. Columbkill and Father Pendergast served both churches.
When Father Pendergast was transferred in April 1912, the two churches held a farewell party for him with music and speeches and a farewell scholarship of $ 345 as proof of the high esteem his parishes held for him.
This first small chapel – some say it may once have been a chicken coop – lasted 50 years until a new church was built with the dedication on May 27, 1956. Rev. Agdus S. Karels was the pastor of the Holy Trinity when the church was built. Mass was followed by silver tea from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The new church had a capacity of 280 seats and the cost was $ 65,784.47. The volunteer work of the parish kept the cost of the church to a minimum. Over the past six decades, many improvements and additions have been made to the new shrine, including stained glass windows. Each family paid $ 1,400 and bought a window in memory of a family member. In 1992, the church became accessible to people with disabilities with a new ramp installed by Wayne Gadient.
An active congregation at this church in the heart of Goodhue, a town of about 1,100 people, includes mission trips for young people each summer and a food drive. Reverend Randal Kasel performs Mass at the Holy Trinity at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. Sunday Mass is celebrated at 8:30 am in St. Mary’s and 10:30 am in St. Columbkill’s.
The mission / vision of the Holy Trinity is to draw near to Christ and to lead others to him; striving to become saints. Holy Trinity serves 95 families. Its address is 211 Fourth St., Box 275, Goodhue. The phone is 651-923-4472.
Next week: Family Worship Church in Zumbrota – very young, founded in 1997.