AMHERST, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts tennis team swept the College of Holy Cross, 7-0, Sunday afternoon at the Bay Road Indoor Tennis Center, collecting their sixth straight triumph of the season. The sweep also marks the third straight game in as many games for UMass, as the Minutewomen improve to 6-2 on aggregate this season.
Maassachusetts got off to a fast start, winning the doubles point of the day. Renata Farima and Dylan Canon paired at No. 3, knocking out Caroline Fredey and Caroline Carlson of Holy Cross, 6-0, before Mariya Krasakova and Vittoria Okuyama defeated Maddie DeNucci and Ahana Nagarkatti of Holy Cross, 6-0, at No. 1. The duo of Danielle Hack and Thamonpan Jonglertrakul won on Court No. 2, 6-1, against their opponents Holy Cross, Jasmine Rahman and Elizabeth Gibbons.
Krasakova picked up the first singles point for the Minutewomen after beating Gibbons of Holy Cross 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4. Farima extended UMass’ lead to 3-0, after winning 6- 0, 6-2 at No. 1 against DeNucci of Holy Cross, before Hack made it a 4-0 game for Massachusetts with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Rahman of Holy Cross at No. 3. Polina Akimova clinched her singles point after beating Holy Cross’ Nagarkatti 6-0, 6-1 at No. 2, followed by Okuyama’s 6-0, 6-0 win over Holy Cross’ Meg O’Melveny at No. No. 6. Jonglertrakul clinched the match for the Minutewomen, beating Fredey of Holy Cross 6-0, 6-2 on Court No. 5.
Massachusetts hits the road Sunday, March 6, as the team prepares for a game at Yale in New Haven, Conn., at 1 p.m.
UMass vs Holy Cross results
1. Krasakova/Okuyama (UM) def. DeNucci/Nagarkatti (HC) 6-0
2. Hack/Jonglertrakul (UM) def. Rahman/Gibbons (HC) 6-1
3. Farima/Cannon (UM) def. Fredey/Carlson (HC) 6-0
Order of arrival: 3, 1, 2
1. Farima (UM) beats. DeNucci (SC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Akimova (UM) defeated. Nagarkatti (HC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Hack (UM) def. Rahman (HC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Krasakova (UM) defeated. Gibbons (CH) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jonglertrakul (UM) against Fredey (HC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Okuyama (UM) v O’Melveny (HC) 6-0, 6-0
Finishing order: 4, 1, 3, 2, 6, 5